Monday, September 17, 2007

The Gift.

Let us think together just how much change would we be willing to see transpire in our world today? How comfortable, or even happy, would you be if the world changed radically tomorrow? Or, put the other way around, you changed radically tomorrow? That would mean your entire pattern of living would change, your habits, needs, desires, goals, security, well-being, you know, everything. Would you welcome such change? If you are at all considering these questions don't you think your feelings on the matter might depend on how this radical change came about? I mean, wouldn't there be a difference between change brought about through intelligent, open, honest self-reflection and, let's say, a shower of 4 ton bombs? And yet, leaving honest self-discovery 'off the table,' as we most certainly do to any measurable extent, means the path we always take, that of ignorance, must inevitably be lit up by the exploding of shrapnel and debris.

'Smiling Face...' by Steveaxford, Australia.


I mean, when I look around I see madness, everywhere. What do I mean by madness everywhere? Am I implying the ocean is mad, or the trees, birds, or mountains? No, only people pretending to be 'human' are mad. Everyone pretending to be 'who they think they are.' And my pointing it out is so unwelcome most of the time. Well, most of the time it is just ignored, of course, but other than that, it's just plain unwelcome. I've heard things like, 'this life is for me to play in, right?' 'I can be whatever I want to be, right?' Now, answer me this, how is it that I believe I can be whatever I want to be while at the same time I'm compulsively acting upon images already established in the mind? It's like asking how much choice does an addict have when they don't know they have a problem? The addicts choice is based upon what's perceived by them to be a desire for the drug, not the enslavement of addiction. And so people continue to 'desire' the expression of themselves as the addict 'desires' their drug of 'choice.' Is this desire or dependence?

Now, you'd think we would be human by birth, but apparently it takes many years of constant indoctrination to become the fine human beings we are today. But really, seriously, who says? If I were to drop all reactive responses based on my conditioning would I not still be human? I mean, who says this product of thousands of years of ignorant conditioning has anything, whatsoever, to do with being human? In fact, it seems the evolution of ignorance is far more interested in becoming something more than merely human. Ridiculous monstrosities like my race, my nation, my education, my class, my religion, my political party, my opinion, my beliefs, blah, blah, blah. This is what we call 'being human' today. From my perspective, if it is 'human' at all, this manner in which we've evolved, it most certainly is a sick human. A human with a nasty, contagious virus; a human hardly recognizable to someone who loves humanity. Because when you identify yourself with the nation, some religion, or any other form of conditioning you don't give a fig about humanity. You've lost all contact with being human for humanity shares a consciousness. To pretend to divide that consciousness by paying sole attention to your own images creates conflict, distortion, and suffering. In other words, it creates the world we currently share, the world where the becoming of the ideal is all we care for and the means of arriving there are inconsequential. Pretending to be an individual without any self-reflection is the most dangerous act one has the unfortunate privilege to be born directly into. Today's face of individuality is a slap on the face of being human. A fairy-tale told through images, built upon the backs of countless 'lesser humans,' during a period of ignorance where the individual believes they're evolving. The Gift, in such times, is seeing through the extraneous.